These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: StageScape M20d Mixer Community Support

StageScape M20d recording quality?
by dpolcino on 2012-05-04 15:39:18

I couldn't find a forum for this, but since I'll most likely get it with some speakers figured this is as good a place as any!

I can't find anything in the specs on the multi-track recording quality of this device. It's 16 tracks at once and all effects are bypassed?

What's the bit-rate and sample-rate?

Could this be used for field recording and basic multi-track recording, similar to a Zoom R24 in addition to its main purpose as a stage mixer?

Thanks!

Re: StageScape M20d recording quality?
by Line6Don on 2012-05-07 15:49:11

All of the currently available specs for the StageScape M20d can be found at the link below:

http://line6.com/stagescape-m20d/specs">http://line6.com/stagescape-m20d/specs">http://line6.com/stagescape-m20d/specs

Unfortunately since the M20d has not yet been released, I do not have specific information to answer your questions regarding audio routing and quality when used as a audio interface.

Check back on the M20d product page in the future for more information as it becomes available:

http://line6.com/stagescape-m20d/">http://line6.com/stagescape-m20d/">http://line6.com/stagescape-m20d/

by dboomer on 2012-06-06 10:32:34

Again ... since this product has not been officially released I cannot say for 100% certain ... but for now ( I expect no changes) ...

The recording is 24 bit/ 48 KHz sampling.  It stores each track as an individual wav file and the source is right after the A/D conversion so nothing but the plain signal is recorded.  Basically all you need to do is supply storage medium ... thumb drive, SD card, USB drive or it will stream into a computer directly.  It should be noted that if you stream you cannot record at the same time.

by MerlinFL on 2012-08-04 14:12:53

dboomer wrote:

Again ... since this product has not been officially released I cannot say for 100% certain ... but for now ( I expect no changes) ...

Now that the unit is officially released - any more detailed answers to the questions asked previously?  And there is already an update for the mixer posted publicly for whatever was needed or revised from the time it was manufactured and left somewhere in the far east part of the world.

Also - would you know or be able to answer even if you did if all pre-orders of this unit will be filled with the first wave of these long overdue units?  Just curious.

by dboomer on 2012-08-07 11:05:44

The recording is 24 bit/48 kHz sample rate.

What update?  I don't know of any for the mixer.

by MerlinFL on 2012-08-07 14:09:40

dboomer wrote:

The recording is 24 bit/48 kHz sample rate.

What update?  I don't know of any for the mixer.

Listed right there in the download section of this website.  I'm surprised you didn't know of this since it's been there as of the posting date 8/1/12.

by dboomer on 2012-08-07 15:09:10

I think you may be confusing StageScape firmware with computer drivers. The computer drivers must be downloaded from the website and installed in any computer you wish to use StageScape with. There is only one released version of StageScape so far ... V1.0 released 7/30/12 and it is in all units that have been shipped.

OTOH ... the great news is that the mixer is very easy to update and I anticipate any number of new additional features will be following in the near future.

by litesnsirens on 2012-10-04 15:43:02

I'm also interested in getting this unit and using it both for live mixing and perhaps as an audio interface for recording. Would it effectively replace my Apogee Duet 2 as a recording interface, in terms of functionality and quality?   I recognize that it would offer signicantly more channels, but in terms of two-way communication over USB.  If I understand the literature correctly the return stream would come back to the aux channel input, then I simply make sure that I have an instance of that on "the stage" and I would use that as my level control going to my studio monitors.  Is this correct?  Then I would just run the main outs to my monitors?  I went through the PDF manual in the recording section but there isn't a lot of info in terms of setting it up for use with a DAW.   If this would easily take the place of my Duet 2 I would sell the Duet to help fund the purchase.

by ArneLine6 on 2012-10-04 16:23:52

You are correct about the workflow. However, the M20d is a live recording mixer and not optimized for the studio situation you are describing. 

by litesnsirens on 2012-10-04 16:39:55

Thanks for your response Arne.  I understand that it is primarily a live recording mixer.  I'm just wondering where it might fall short when you say that it is not optimized for the studio situation?  I'm forseeing that for my personal situation I would have to get/make some custom cables due to all the outputs being only XLR.  Would the latency be any worse? The Duet2 really just provides basic input/output with level control and a single headphone.  At a glance it looks like the M20d could handle all of that but as opposed to 2 inputs I could have 16 to 18.  I know that the Duet has great mic pres and great A/D D/A conversion. It's just a guess but the M20d looks like a pretty quality piece of gear, that said, I understand that there may be a different level of quality between studio gear and livre gear in these two departments.

And if I can ask one more question more pertaining to live use.  Could I plug a bass guitar directly into the unit or would I have to go into a DI first?  I imagine electronic drums and guitar processors ie HD500 can just go direct.

by ArneLine6 on 2012-10-05 06:33:27

I was not concerned about the quality. The pre amps and the converters are excellent. The latency can be problematic if you want to monitor what comes from the computer.

You can absolutely just plug in your bass guitar as well as an HD 500 or electronic drums.

by savaf on 2012-11-14 19:41:04

hello

thanks for this discussion - i've realised i was also confusing firmware for the mixer with computer software.

actually i can share some of my exprerience of using this thing as i bought it a month ago,

since then i played and recorded pretty serious concerts using all available inserts and without using any computer whatsoever.

also made one live studio records. all these were with drums, guitars, keaboards, flute, vocals,

and in one situaltion even with large number of specific ethnic instuments.

the best thing about it is how easy to understand and use it. the speed of setting up the stage for the gig,

4 independant monitors lines, the ability to save all parameters for the repeting venues, full dynamic processing for each(!) channel -

all these make our life as a musician not only much easier, but also far more enjoyable

the quality of the signal is more than sufficient. we tried any types of external memory and it really works with all of them.

when recording, it produces one folder for each song recorded. in this folder, each recorded channel is represented as a clear wave file with no fx uplied

and also main mix wave file, which is actually the sound of the band including fx and dynamic processing. in our case, 16 mono wave files and one stereo wave.

another fiture is managing parameters by means of mobile devices.

we connect two iPads to the mixer. one of them is on stage with one of the member of the band who's running instruments levels in monitors.

and second iPad is running the sound from the side of audience. so we also do not need any multicore anymore.

several things to be aware of. since only one usb is represented, in order to plug both: the wifi adapters for iPad connection

(acually i would say wifi transmitter since you don't need to use any routers, and "the" because there are only few specified)

and external usb drive for recording, i bought usb hub with extra power supply. it does work!

second thing - i normally first make primary mixing inside the mixer as it can replay recorded stuff provided you save the stage setting.

i do it in order to rearrange mainmix file because in conditions of a live concert your priority is always live sound in audience

so mainmix stereo wave file is never what you really expect to get.

also important - the level of the mainmix wave file is directly dependant on the level of the main out knob, a small thing which costed us a lot of time

and then, if it is still necessary, i  relocate files to a computer where i do final mixing and mastering.

overall, i can trully say, i am very happy with this thing.

today is trying to test it with a connection with computer, but already see that much easier to use it on its own since it is trully a self sufficient device.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.