These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD Farm / POD Studio / TonePort

Laptop: UX2/Reaper sound clicking, stuttering, grinding, distorted
by wollerocker on 2010-11-19 09:30:31

Hi there,

I'm actually trying to set up my new Line6 UX2 on my computer, but I encounter big sound problems and I'm not sure what to do next although I've already tried a lot of things.

I am using Windows Vista Home Premium SP2 on an ASUS laptop with a turion rm70 cpu, 4 gigs of ram.

My recording software is Reaper vers. 3.301. While using it my laptop is on "high performance" power scheme without automatic altering of the cpu speed. My UX2 is version 3.4.3.2.

Now here' what I've already tried to do:

- followed the tweak instructions pdf provided by line6 and tried most of the tipps with no success

- altered the ASIO default buffer size (in both directions but it only got worse)

- altered the ASIO default bit depth from 16 to 32 bit, no improvement

- altered the buffer size of the toneDirect monitoring, no improvement

- tried to switch between AC mode and battery mode of my laptop, no improvement

Does anyone have a suggestion what to do? I actually cannot record or playback without having those strange noises and distortions.

I am thankful for every single advice!

Greetz

Wolle

Re: Laptop: UX2/Reaper sound clicking, stuttering, grinding, distorted
by Triryche on 2010-11-19 10:34:02

Run the Line6 Monkey and update your drivers/firmware.

Post back if you are still having problems.

fyi...

9/30/10

We  have released a new driver (4.1.1.7) that we feel has improved many of  the audio issues some users have experienced on some systems. Please  download the new driver at http://line6.com/software/.

by wollerocker on 2010-11-20 11:45:04

Hi,

thanks for that suggestion. I installed the latest driver and my sound problems significantly got better although unfortunately they didn't disappear completely.

In the meantime I updtated my usb-drivers but that didn't help. I still have some clickings and scratches from time to time. Is there anything else that I may try out?

Thanks

Wolle

RE: Laptop: UX2/Reaper sound clicking, stuttering, grinding, distorted
by Line6david on 2010-11-22 11:57:17

Hi,

Have you tried different USB Ports on you laptop?

Also, are you connected with a USB hub or directly to the computer?

Thanks,

David

Line 6 Customer Support

Re: RE: Laptop: UX2/Reaper sound clicking, stuttering, grinding, distorted
by wollerocker on 2010-11-23 23:49:54

Hi there,

My UX2 is directly connected to an usb-port, no hub is used.

Until now I actually tried only one usb-port. I will check that out this evening.

Also sometimes reaper crashes while loading the podfarm-VST and after restarting the program reaper gives out an error message just like 'problems with your sound card'. Then I cannot assign inputs and outputs although the ASIO UX driver is displayed. Then I have to re-install the UX-driver, plug out, plug in the UX2 and restart reaper.

But my main problem is nevertheless the clicking and grinding.

by Triryche on 2010-11-24 05:52:06

A USB Filter was been the culprit on some AMD machines - but more so BSOD.

If you can not find it in your add/remove programs check this thread:

http://line6.com/community/message/165606#165606

ButI have a hunch your USB port my be under-powered.

by wollerocker on 2010-11-25 01:06:23

Hi,

in fact I have installed an usb-filter-driver because of problems with my old usb-printer.

Do you suggest to uninstall it?

If the power supply of my usb-port is insufficient what can I do against that?

Wolle

by wollerocker on 2010-11-27 10:55:14

Hi,

my stuttering got much better after uninstalling the usb filter driver. Now I have only slight clickings from time to time.

One more of your recommendations and I am sure to completely solve my audio problems

I checked the BIOS of my laptop and realized I cannot alter or even check the voltage of my usb ports. Any ideas what to do?

Thanks so far for your help!

by Line6Hugo on 2010-11-29 09:30:49

I'm glad that removing the USB filter driver help the issue.

If you are using a laptop, make sure to DISABLE the wireless adapter of the laptop as that can introduce audio interference that sounds like pops and skips.

You should also take a look at the following optimization tutorial:

http://line6.com/community/docs/DOC-2085

Regards,

Line6Hugo

by Mkkl on 2010-11-29 10:52:16

I had the same issue, stuttering sound through the line 6 device, while my sound system and cables and laptop were okay. Then I realized I had the same kind of problem with FL studio.

The solution is very simple, just go to your control panel. Then you'll see somethign like Audio Line 6 MIDI devices. click on it, you'll get a new screen, then increase the buffer size. Have fun playing clean sounds!!!!

by wollerocker on 2010-12-09 11:25:53

Hey there,

I checked both the optimization guidelines and the altered buffer size - no improvements.

I also switched off the wireless adapter, but that did not change anything...

Any other suggestions?

Thanks so far!

by ricksox on 2010-12-10 16:47:31

Several things on a laptop computer could introduce pops and clicks into your signal.

One thing you may want to try is setting your power schemes to Always On in the power options menu in Control Panel.

Also, make sure your BIOS is up to date. You can also try setting Windows for best performance which can help sometimes.

Line6Miller

Re: RE: Laptop: UX2/Reaper sound clicking, stuttering, grinding, distorted
by wollerocker on 2010-12-14 09:08:25

Hi folks,

finally I got it! The key to an (almost) undistorted sound has been an USB-hub with external power supply. It seems that my USB-ports don't have enough power to supply the UX2 sufficiently.

Thank you all for your recommendations and your help!!!

Wolle

by ricksox on 2010-12-15 09:19:22

Excellent! Glad you found a solution.

Line6Miller

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.