These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

Welcome to the POD HD Forums!
by ricksox on 2010-09-30 08:04:51

Brand new forum for all of your POD HD needs.

Line6Miller

Re: Welcome to the POD HD Forums!
by Vettaville-nl on 2010-09-30 08:19:41

Thanks mr. Miller.

I guess they will be treasured in time..

Regards Hans

by guitarslik on 2010-09-30 08:46:19

I just wanted to be among the first to say I was here on this historic day!

I can't wait to hear these exciting units we have discussed for months.

by Triryche on 2010-09-30 10:24:51

Oh No!!  My GAS is acting up...

by spaceatl on 2010-09-30 11:01:52

POD HD....DT50....This is a totally new way of doing things...WOW!!!!

by kneffmesaboogie on 2010-11-01 08:07:12

Well, I guess I have to be the one to be a downer to all the hype.  I purchased a POD HD400 one week ago and was immediately disappointed before ever powering it on.  Tooling marks on the case of the unit?  Really?  I am an engineer with sheet metal fabrication experience, and not one of my customers would accept this.  The fact that they are putting them in the box to be sold with these hexagonal marks all over them (mine has one through the HD logo!) is a slap in the face.  I have done my research and can tell from the stock at my local GC, the videos on youtube, and other similar compaints that this is a far-reaching problem.  The fact that they keep punching them out is a perfect example of greed.  After my initial surprise, I thought to myself, this had better sound really great.  I have played with it for a week, twisting knobs and working with the software only to find that the sounds are uninspiring, the feel is no better, and that I have been unable to get any usable tones out of it live or in the studio.  All the demos on line that sound decent employ the use of the Variax.  Maybe this is key, but I will never change guitars to suit a MFX box.  I guess, other than complaining, I am looking for somebody to prove me wrong.  I am no tone guru, but many people come to me for help with their tones in my area, so I must know something.  The lower gain models start sounding the same, and the high gain models are muddy.  The tone controls seem to have little effect when sweeping them full range.  I bought the HD400 without plugging it in at the store, that is how much I have come to trust Line 6.  Looking for feedback and thanks for your time....

by phil_m on 2010-11-01 08:21:34

I don't know - I don't really ever try to convince anyone to buy or not buy something, but my experience with the HD500 has been nothing but positive.  I've owned PODs from every generation up to this point, and this is the only one where I've truly kind of felt like I've been playing through a real amp.  I have honestly not spend a whole lot of time with every amp model simply because I keep on getting stuck on a few that I really, really like and just keep playing.  The one thing I notice a lot is the amp tone stacks are a lot more responsive on the HD line than previous versions.

As far as the hexagons, I guess I do notice a few light indentations on mine, but I never really gave it a second thought.  I can't say I ever thought to be bothered by it.

by TheRealZap on 2010-11-01 08:28:27

first thing i would do is update it...

some of the amp models had significant changes from the shipping firmware to the one available now...

second you might mention what kind of tone you are after... example artist or at least a genre.... so you get the right kind of help.

you might also mention what you are using to amplify it, and describe your signal chain...

my assessment is far far different than yours... so let's figure out what's different and go from there...

by spaceatl on 2010-11-01 08:43:40

kneffmesaboogie wrote:

Well, I guess I have to be the one to be a downer to all the hype.  I purchased a POD HD400 one week ago and was immediately disappointed before ever powering it on.  Tooling marks on the case of the unit?  Really?  I am an engineer with sheet metal fabrication experience, and not one of my customers would accept this.  The fact that they are putting them in the box to be sold with these hexagonal marks all over them (mine has one through the HD logo!) is a slap in the face.  I have done my research and can tell from the stock at my local GC, the videos on youtube, and other similar compaints that this is a far-reaching problem.  The fact that they keep punching them out is a perfect example of greed.  After my initial surprise, I thought to myself, this had better sound really great.  I have played with it for a week, twisting knobs and working with the software only to find that the sounds are uninspiring, the feel is no better, and that I have been unable to get any usable tones out of it live or in the studio.  All the demos on line that sound decent employ the use of the Variax.  Maybe this is key, but I will never change guitars to suit a MFX box.  I guess, other than complaining, I am looking for somebody to prove me wrong.  I am no tone guru, but many people come to me for help with their tones in my area, so I must know something.  The lower gain models start sounding the same, and the high gain models are muddy.  The tone controls seem to have little effect when sweeping them full range.  I bought the HD400 without plugging it in at the store, that is how much I have come to trust Line 6.  Looking for feedback and thanks for your time....

I don't know of any engineers that would make the claim of a "far-reaching problem" based on one GC store's stock, some YouTube videos and "other similar complaints"...That's is basically an absolution based on just about zero data....Engineers generally use concrete numbers to back up thier claims...

I can certainly understand your disappointment...It really stinks to get something new with obvious defects...Why don't you exchange it? If you can't because other units have the same issue I would suggest that youy call Line 6 directly and explain the situation...And if you don't like how it sounds then return it and get something you like...

by Nick_Mattocks on 2010-11-01 12:23:56

Those 'tooling' marks are actually the stand-off post locations for mounting the internal circuit boards.  Sorry - I don't see the problem.

by kneffmesaboogie on 2010-11-02 08:30:30

I didn't come to this forum to bash the product or to have my profession scrutinized.  I came here for some direction and to describe a complaint.  I have been a manufacturing engineer for about 14 years.  Does this mean I know everything?  Absolutely not.  I am saying that for my hard-earned money this defect is unacceptable.  Period.  The problem is far from local and most people admit to seeing these marks.  This is fact and requires no quantitative analysis to back it up.

I do plan to return it as soon as my "replacement" comes in, but in the mean time, I thought I would give this forum a crack to see what the majority thinks of the unit in general.  It is obvious that many of you dig it, and that in your case, you took some offense to my complaints.  Sorry for that.  I was just trying to get as much feedback as I could before this thing leaves my home forever.  Thanks for your time.

by TheRealZap on 2010-11-02 08:37:22

wow, i just can't believe that someone would get that worked up over something that doesn't affect the functionality at all...

most of us are actually very pleased to have the unit back in metal from the plastic case of the x3...

and the minor indentations of the standoffs are hardly an issue... especially for something designed to be stepped on...

i truly appreciate that you have high standards in your profession, i certainly can't fault you for that...

just surprised that you would let something purely cosmetic override every other attribute of the device.

anyway... best of luck.

by kneffmesaboogie on 2010-11-02 08:38:36

Thanks for the reply.  I updated it a few days ago and did not notice any improvement.  My signal chain is simple:  guitar, POD, and mixing console (either at church or in my studio).  I tend to gravitate toward heavier tones at home and more Marshall-esque tones at church as I do not want to scare the older folks.  When I go clean, I have no complaints.  Many of the models will do as I am not a clean tone fanatic.  It's the distorted tones that I feel lack definition and dynamics.  I've tried many amp stomp box combinations within the editing software as well as messed with the cabs and mics.  Nothing seems to pan out for me.  I'm not looking for serious grind at church, just a nice crunch with some warmth and definition.  i can get this all day long from the Native Instruments stuff in my DAW.  I just figured this unit would do it even better...  Let me know your thoughts and thanks.

by spaceatl on 2010-11-02 09:43:16

sorry...I have nothing to say here.

by guitar8275 on 2010-11-06 15:51:30

I feel sympathetic to your concern(s)...

I just received my HD400 from Sweetwater yesterday and my expectations are being batted around due to the following:

• I wanted a large, E-Z to read manual. The only thing in the owner's bag was a small manual and a card with an on-line address to find further manuals & tutorials for sleuthing out the operation, how-to-do's, et al.
  • My main need was for this unit to take the place of numerous foot pedals or multi-fx units for quick, easy use in my combo amps fx loops (Stiletto Ace, Fuchs, Shiva, Cornford). It's a bit of a daunting challenge one day later.
  • As opposed to other manufacturers, the number of video tutorials is limited as of this time: I hope the collection grows for people like me.
  • I found no unity gain in the pre-set volumes, and some of the jumps blew the headphones off my head (LOL).

Looks like I have to download all the various documents/manuals and work on getting what I want out of it.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.