These forums are read only, please use our new Community here.

Main :: Variax Electric

Variax 300, Variax 600, Variax 700

Variax 300 "crackling" noises
by a8lnojp6z on 2008-08-07 10:54:49
I just bought a used Variax 300 back a few weeks ago and it has been working great until last night. I had been playing for over an hour while using workbench to tweak my tunings (playing some slide in open A), and all of sudden I started getting a ton of noise from the Variax. I'll try and record a sample tonight, but it was a crackling noise similar to tube amp in need of service and the noise just seems to come and go every few seconds and rise and fall in intensity. Anyone have any experience with this type of problem?

I am running off the mini xps for power and I was just running through a mutil-fx unit. I didn't have much time to troubleshoot, but it was definitely coming from the guitar itself and it continued even after I disconnected from workbench.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Re: Variax 300 "crackling" noises
by line6jean on 2008-08-07 15:39:17
You should reinstall the flash memory of the variax.

Here are some instructions:

How do I reset my Variax?

How do I use Workbench?

Variax Instrument and Cable F.A.Q.s

by a8lnojp6z on 2008-08-07 19:33:10
The link to the reset instructions didn't work - please repost correct link. Thanks!

by ricksox on 2008-08-08 09:53:21
Here are the reset procedures for all of our Variax guitar and basses.

VARIAX Electric and Acoustic Guitars and Basses

You will have to connect your VARIAX to the WORKBENCH, POD XT LIVE, or VETTA II to reset your factory default settings. Then you will have to connect your interface to your computer. Here are the instructions for each:

Variax Electric 300, 500, 600, 700
These instruments can only be returned to factory reset by reinstalling the flash memory. Connect the Variax digital guitar cable to your Variax interface (you will need to have the unit powered the with TRS cable unless you are using a POD XT Live or Vetta) to the Line 6 Monkey, select your variax instrument, choose firmware (in the updates tab), and select “reinstall latest”.

Variax Acoustic (Steel String and Nylon) 300
These instruments do not have a reset function. The presets are simply a variety of settings that the user can overwrite. In other words, the user cannot lose anything, except for the original settings that are provided as examples/starting points.

Variax Acoustic 700 - Soft Reset
Start with unit off (TRS cable and/or Variax Digital cable unplugged from guitar). Rotate the model selector to the SITAR position.
Press and hold model selector (as in Save routine) while inserting TRS cable or Variax Digital cable to power up the unit and perform reset. For a full reset, please follow the Variax Electric Guitar procedure as described above.

Variax Bass 700 705
Factory defaults must be restored one at a time. Select the Model you wish to normalize. Place the blend and two tone controls in the detent position. Now press the Model select pot down until the indicator light stops flashing. The Model should now be restored to factory settings. Use this procedure for any model you want to restore to the factory setting.

Line6Miller

by a8lnojp6z on 2008-08-09 23:10:37
Thank you the instructions. I actually ended up reseting my variax through monkey two times in the process of troubleshooting it. At the time it seemed to minimize the noise; however, after for playing for awhile it became apparent that the noise was still there. I attached a recording of the noise the happens even when I am not playing. Keep in mind, this is recorded direct from the guitar to the mixer.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am getting fairly frustrated with this. I love the alt tuning capabilities, but I can't stand all the noise.

by jasonbogen on 2008-08-11 13:13:16
Wow! I was frustrated just listening to this once. I have had problems with my Variax seemingly changing models rapidly, but never heard this one. I did open up mine and make sure the connections were all tight. Do you get the problem on ever model. I ended up having to put my main models that use in on slot as I was having problem with the Tele, spank and lester banks.

by bsennett on 2008-08-13 09:31:04
Mine does it when i turn the volume all the way down on the variax itself. I noticed it when i put my variax on a guitar stand with my pod x3 pedal all the way down, switch to my AUX analog guitar, turned up the pod and thought "what'ss that sound". I found by turning up the pot just a little made the sound stop. I'll flash mine and see what it does.

by Line6Hugo on 2008-08-14 10:22:59
a8lnojp6z,

As other forum user have mentioned, you might want to check to see if the connections in the Variax are seated tight and proper. If you continue having issues with the Variax and noise, I would have to recommend taking the guitar to be serviced for repair.

Regards,

Line6Hugo

by cfarrar on 2008-08-18 03:15:50
This identical problem has been harrassing me from the day I took my Variax 300 out the box. What I have been doing (whilst I search for a permanent solution) is mute the output to the amp, unplug the lead from the Variax & re-plug the lead. The crackling dissapears for about an hour and then returns. I suspect it is a grounding/Static build up issue with the XPS Mini direct box/power supply. Am working on grounding the XPS Mini to earth. Will keep y'all informed

by guidokraushaar on 2008-08-24 08:15:41
Hello,
I have the same problem with the terrible crackling noises after an hour or so and I planned to sell my 300er because it's absolutely nothing for a gig.
So today I made a test and connected another power-supply (from another effect) and .... no crackling noises at all. I played now for about 2 1/2 hours and nothing is to hear.

Greets,
Guido